spiced sweet potato + black bean bowl
This recipe is part of the Yay For Earth meal plan II in collaboration with @stevieyaaay.
A hearty, warm bowl with all the textures and tons of flavor. Serves 4.
Scroll to the bottom of the recipe for notes, options, and variations. Please feel free to tweak it to make it work for YOU: sub in winter squash or potatoes for the sweet potatoes, swap a carrot for the bell pepper, shred kale instead of cabbage, omit the oil, change the spices, whatever you like. I love the combo of cinnamon with the more savory flavors, but if that doesn’t speak to you, feel free to omit or sub ground coriander. Please don’t feel intimidated or overwhelmed by the long list/directions- it all comes together easily, theres just a few different components. It took me about 25 minutes start to finish.
1x medium sweet potato for every person eating
1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp oil
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (2 tbsp for every person eating)
1 jalapeño, sliced thinly, seeds removed if you don’t like spice
1/2 bunch cilantro
approx 4 loose cups cabbage (a large handful for every person eating)
1 large juicy lime, zested and juiced
1 small red onion
1 small red bell pepper
1 tablespoon oil
s+p to taste
2 cans black beans (1/2 a can for every person eating)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp cumin, 1/2-1 tsp cinnamon
2 avocados (1/2 for each person), cubed or sliced
Preheat the oven to 400.
While it’s preheating:
- scrub, dry, and cube sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks
- toss them in oil to coat + the spices and salt
- place on a baking sheet and into the oven when its up to temp. and let cook until tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- heat up a dry skillet (no oil) till hot, add pumpkin seeds, and toast, shaking pan often, until they start to turn color and pop. Remove from heat and set aside.
Meanwhile, start on the slaw:
- with a knife or mandolin, thinly slice the cabbage and place in a large bowl
- chop and add in the cilantro
- thinly slice and add in 1/2 of the onion + the bell pepper and jalapeño
- zest and juice the lime and add to the bowl
- drizzle in a tablespoon oil and sprinkle salt and pepper
- toss it all together and taste. Adjust as needed and set aside.
Then, make the beans:
- chop the remaining 1/2 onion finely and heat up some oil in a pot.
- add onion and sauté until softened and golden
- add the 2 cloves minced garlic and sauté till fragrant, about another minute. Add in the 1 teaspoon ground cumin (I also like to add 1/2-1 tsp ground cinnamon, a trick I learned from @ohdeardrea, but up to you, ground coriander is also great if you have it)
- open the cans of beans and dump into the pot
- bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes
- taste and add salt as needed
Now, assemble the bowls with the sweet potatoes, black beans, and slaw. Add avocado on top and sprinkle over the pumpkin seeds. Serve right away.